SEVIS activate period

vijaysharma

Hi,

My H1B application was picked in lottery and I received an RFE with a deadline of December 24th. My OPT ended recently on September 30th and I just checked with my DSO whether my SEVIS is active or not. She confirmed that my SEVIS is active and she also mentioned that she's not sure if SEVIS would be active till December 24th or response of USCIS (at the earliest). My masters doesn't come under STEM so I don't have an option of STEM extension also. Can some one please let me know on how long does the SEVIS stay active if H1B petition is pending ?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was in the same situation as you. My H1 got picked this year(2016) got an RFE on Oct 4th (2016) and submission end date Dec 30th (2016). My OPT ended On Sept 30th. When I spoke about this to a lawyer they told me that I can stay in the USA till my H1 B application is processing and my sevis would be active till then. But unfortunately that is not the case, your university can only hold your Sevis 60 days after your opt ends not more than that. My sevis shows as completed today. I have applied for admission into a new university and requested for a reinstatement of my sevis but that would take around 6 - 9 months. 

During the reinstatement you have to be a full time student and cannot get CPT or Work on campus. So my only hope now is that my H1 B gets approved. Will update you once I get the H1 B decision. 

Also if someone has faced similar situation and would like to share their experience and help me out that would be really great. 

Hope this helps someone. 

Even thinking about CPT is a bad thing. You can NOT get CPT just by signing up with a university. And if you signed up with a fraud institution that "offers" CPT from day 1, you have even bigger problems.

You can stay while the H1 is pending, but you can NOT work, and certainly not with a fake CPT from a fake "university."

• 2 months later...

Case update. My H1 B is still processing. I have not received any update yet. To stay in status I have applied to a college and have started taking classes. I have not applied for any CPT. I dont intend to either. I have also submitted the documentation to USCIS for the F1 reinstatement. 

1. I wanted to know how long it would take for the Sevis Reinstatement. Does anyone have any idea about that ?

2. Can I stay in the USA legally when the restatement is processing. I have the I-20 from the University. 

I have lost hope on my H1 though. Will update what happens once I receive any update.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Archived