Need help with travel of my dependents who have L1B and L2 visas

pavanagarwal

Hello everyone,

I have a weird situation with travel of my dependents(spouse and kids) who have L1B and L2 visas. My spouse has L1B visa expiring on 02/15/2017 and she is planning to travel in last week of Jan 2017. I wanted to understand if there will be any issues with they entering USA and if they would be allowed to stay here considering her visa is expiring in next 2 weeks.

FYI - Am here on H1 visa and have I140 approved. My employer did take my spouse and kids details while filing I140 for me but they were in India and they do not have H4 visas corresponding to my employer. Also i would be traveling along with them and my case would be i should mostly have new stamped H1 visa that would be valid till May 2017.

I have multiple thoughts/questions going in my brain but not sure what is correct. so am hoping to get some direction here so that we can make right decision.

1) I am assuming they can travel here in last week of Jan 2017 and there should be no issue at immigration counter as they still have 2 weeks of valid visa. Once Immigration allows them to stay here in USA, her employer would apply for extension of L1B visa. Is there a remote possibility that immigration may not allow them to stay here considering they have visa valid only for 2 weeks? If yes, why and is there any minimum visa validity requirement to enter/stay in USA?

2) Will my approved I140 help them in any way in case Immigration has any concerns with their visa expiring in 2 weeks and does not allow them to enter/stay here?

3) In case Immigration has concerns with their visa expiring and they do not want them to be here on L1B & L2 visas, can i tell them that i would switch them to H4 visas in next couple of weeks?

Can someone please guide me on what should i do here or how should i handle this weird situation ?

Thanks,

Pavan

Archived