Change of Status from F1(Post completion OPT) to H1B(Got I797B without I94)

Jay34

Hi Team,

I completed My Masters on Dec 2015 and I got Post completion OPT on Jan 2016 which expires on Jan 2017. I filled My H1b for 2016 Master gap. I got H1B Approval after an RFE on my Internal Project from Vermont center . But in the H1B Approval form (I797B) I didn't have I-94 number updated. I checked with My University on 3rd Oct 2016 and got to know my SEVIS shows as completed with change of status Approved. 

When I browse though couple of blogs for some cases like me. They mentioned I have to go out of country and get the stamping to stay legally. 

I filed my H1B when I am on in-house Project with My employer. But After that I moved to a new client. Now I had a client where I am currently working.

My Question: 

1. Do I need file the amendment and get approval before I go to stamping. 

2. Am I legally allowed to Stay in USA and work until I finish the the Amendment filling and getting result.

3. If not Please let me know the best thing I need to do now.

Thankyou in Advance.

Ram Pamarthi.

Thanks for your Reply Rahul, 

My Employer Mentioned that COS is not done. But When I check with My University about my current status on Oct 3rd 2016 they mentions as      " Your SEVIS record is showing COMPLETED status due to change of status approved ".By this I came to know that my F1 status had completed and H1B status haven't been started bcoz of I-797B. So I had a question now on which status I am on now? 

If I don't have any status am I allowed to stay in US and file the amendment and wait for its approval to go for stamping?

Appreciating your support. 

Jay.

Edited by Jay34
  • 1 year later...

Hi Rahul,

I have the same question as Jay, my SEVIS record shows completed and I have I-797B approved.

My employer told me that I can file an amendment to receive 797A with I94 , instead of going to the consular. Is this process correct? Do you know how long does this process take? 

Thanks

Arash 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Jay, i am also in the same situation. I got I-797B approved .I have my opt until July 05,2020 and i-94 is expiring on march 31,2019. But in my sevis portal it's showing the dates as 10/01/2018 to 09/30/2020 but i got my i-797B approval till 2021. Could you please suggest me what to do. Do i need to go for stamping before my i-94 gets expired? Or do i need to go for visa stamping immediately?

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2018 at 4:47 PM, Arash said:

@Jay34 and others reading this Forum - 

The October 1st deadline is a mistake from USCIS side. The company attorney can appeal this and you will get positive response. No need to leave the US if you have I797B. 

Arash

Hi @Arash and all, 

I have the same situation, I got I-797B approved with only 2.5 months of work authorization (10/15/2019 - 12/31/2019)  and my Sevis record was terminated. I was on CPT when all this happened. Do I need to continue working on CPT and file extension and once I receive extension approved, I need to visit India and get stamped ? or Do I need to travel ASAP and get stamped then apply for extension (Is it risky considering only 2.5 months of work authorization ?) ?

Could you or anyone suggest me how to approach in this scenario ?

Best,

Talasu

Edited by talasu1114