another shady university getting closed

JoeF

One of the big 4: Eye Tee You.

From news reports:

"Several colleges in California have recently been caught abusing the system. Now KPIX 5 has learned Homeland Security wants to shut another one down. It’s a bay area school Devin Fehely investigated a year ago.

This is what we saw in an undercover visit to *************** in 2015: Deserted hallways and half-empty classrooms, even though 2700 students were enrolled.

Fast forward to 2016 and things at the San Jose college look pretty much the same."

"But it seems the reforms have not convinced Homeland Security. They have issued a so-called Notice of Intent to Withdraw the university from the Student and Exchange Visitor’s Program. Schools that are not part of the program cannot accept foreign students. That’s essentially almost everyone attending class here."

Eye Tee You hasn't declared bankruptcy, as far as I know. They were near bankruptcy way back when they were unaccredited, until they found the SEVIS way to print money.

They did have to mellow to get accreditation, but were back to their old habits in 2014 and 2015, as documents from the accreditor (WASC) show.

This ICE action may be related to that, since they were signing up anybody who can walk for CPT from day one at that time, as the WASC report indicated.

We'll have to wait for more details. That report from a SF news station is the only one that came into my mailbox so far, from a Google alert I have set up.

• 4 months later...

Archived