Changing last name.

Pari.117

Hello Everyone,

I am a PA resident and have a few questions regarding changing my last name. I got married recently and have the marriage certificate given by the court here. I was going to change my last name and started listing the documents. I am also in the process of filing for Naturalization and would like to change the last name there too. My questions are noted below.

1. Should I change the last name on all the documents (SSN, Drivers License, Bank Accounts, GC) before the naturalization or change the name during citizenship and use that document to change it everywhere else. I have read a lot of posts regarding this and it's very confusing as each person has a different opinion. One point of view is that if the name is changed before the citizenship it will take longer to finish the police inquiry and the citizenship process will be delayed. Second one is that it might take even longer to get a judge's appointment to swear in for name change so its better to change all the documents before hand. 

2. If I change my last name in all the documents before naturalization do I have to change it in my Indian Passport also ?

I had called the Philadelphia Field Office with these questions and they could not give me an answer. They said they do not have any information in their database. 

If someone has answers to these questions and can give me any information that would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks in advance !!

• 3 weeks later...

First fill in the N400 appropriately asking for the name change and they will change the name at the Oath ceremony. Then change your DL and inform SSN with proof. Once naturalized you will have to send your Indian Passport for cancellation and they will then return it to you. I would not worry about the Indian Passport  as regards the name change.

Archived